Beginning July 1, 2022, Temple University will provide up to a maximum of four (4) weeks of paid parental leave to eligible non bargaining employees following the birth of an employee’s child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with an adoption. The purpose of paid parental leave is to enable the employee to care for and bond with a newborn or a newly adopted child. This policy will run concurrently with leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Eligible employees must meet the following criteria:
- Have been employed with the University for at least 12 consecutive months (and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date that the leave would begin;
- Be employed as a full-time employee of the University (part-time and temporary employees are not eligible for this benefit); and
- If both parents are employees of the University at the time of the birth or adoption of the child, both parents are eligible for separate paid parental leave.
In addition, employees must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have given birth to a child, this does not apply to a surrogate or donor.
- Be the spouse of a woman who has given birth to a child.
- Be the biological parent, spouse or certified domestic partner of the biological parent of the child and the caregiver as described below; or
- Have adopted a child who is under the age of 18 years old. This provision does not apply to the adoption of a stepchild by a stepparent or the placement of a foster child.
Finally, eligible employees must use the paid parental leave for the purpose of caring for or bonding with the newborn or newly adopted child.
Coordination With Other Policies
Apply For Parental Leave
Covered by Collective Bargaining Agreements/Unions
University staff and faculty members covered by collective bargaining agreements should refer to their specific collective bargaining agreements.
Medical School and Dental School Faculty Members
Medical School and Dental School faculty members are not covered by this policy for maternity leave but are eligible for 8 weeks of continuous paid maternity leave. Members of the Medical School and Dental School are eligible for paid parental leave for paternity and adoption reasons if they meet the above detailed criteria.
For questions regarding Parental Leave, call 215-926-2282 or email email@example.com.