Beginning July 1, 2022, Temple University will provide up to a maximum of four (4) weeks of paid parental leave to eligible non bargaining employees following the birth of an employee’s child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with an adoption. The purpose of paid parental leave is to enable the employee to care for and bond with a newborn or a newly adopted child. This policy will run concurrently with leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Eligible employees must meet the following criteria:
- Have been employed with the University for at least 12 consecutive months (and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date that the leave would begin;
- Be employed as a full-time employee of the University (part-time and temporary employees are not eligible for this benefit); and
- If both parents are employees of the University at the time of the birth or adoption of the child, both parents are eligible for separate paid parental leave.
In addition, employees must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have given birth to a child, this does not apply to a surrogate or donor.
- Be the spouse of a woman who has given birth to a child.
- Be the biological parent, spouse or certified domestic partner of the biological parent of the child and the caregiver as described below; or
- Have adopted a child who is under the age of 18 years old. This provision does not apply to the adoption of a stepchild by a stepparent or the placement of a foster child.
Finally, eligible employees must use the paid parental leave for the purpose of caring for or bonding with the newborn or newly adopted child.
Coordination With Other Policies
Apply For Parental Leave
- To apply, log in and navigate to TUportal > Staff Tools tab > Employee Dashboard channel. Scroll down to Additional Links and select Leave of Absence Request; or call our office at 215-926-2282.
- After your request is received, the Absence Management Department will send you the necessary application leave packet.
Returning the Application Forms
The completed application forms can be returned to the Absence Management Department via
- Drop off in-person,
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Fax to 215-926-2274.
After Absence Management receives the completed application forms, we will contact you within five (5) days as to the decision of your leave request.
Employees Covered by Collective Bargaining Agreements/Unions
University staff and faculty members covered by collective bargaining agreements and faculty members of the Medical and Dental Schools are not covered by this policy and should refer to the appropriate article(s) in their contract.
For questions regarding Parental Leave, call 215-926-2282 or email email@example.com.